Monday, April 28, 2008

TWD #2 Fluted Polenta and Ricotta Cake

For my second week with Tuesdays with Dorie, the recipe was Fluted Polenta and Ricotta Cake chosen by Caitlin of http://engineerbaker.blogspot.com/

I have to admit that when I first saw the recipe for this week, I turned up my nose...it sure didn't appeal to me at all. So I wasn't planning on participating. My husband had just gotten home Thursday, and we were busy having family time...but Monday night I had to run to the store to get milk, and decided that if I could find figs, I'd give it a try. Sure enough, there were the figs, so I grabbed the ricotta cheese and went home.

I have never bought or even eaten figs before so this was me taking a leap of faith....trying something new!

I didn't have any fluted pans, so I just used a 10 inch springform pan.

When the cake was in the oven it really smelled delicious, much to my surprise! Even though I had read all the comments about it being too sweet and some people cutting out some sugar, I went ahead and followed the recipe..minus the butter on top. I have a sweet tooth, and decided that I'd decide if it were too sweet.

The texture threw me for a loop when I inserted the knife to check for doneness. It was more spongey than I was expecting. It probably isn't the most attractive cake due to using the springform pan, but I was happy it even turned out decent!

I wasn't even sure where to begin on decorating it...so I just sprinkled some powdered sugar on it and tossed a few figs on top for a 'garnish' and called it good. I added a dollop of whip cream on my first piece of polenta and ricotta cake. It tasted to me like a sweet cornbread. I didn't care for the figs, but liked how the Lite Whip Cream balanced out all the sweet flavors. My husband even had a bite and gave it a thumbs up. He was sleeping on the couch with our son when I woke him to try it, so I don't know if he was too tired to really give me an honost answer, or if he just said "Mmmm" so that I would leave him alone so he could go back to sleep.

Overall, I was amazed at the end result. I honostly will probably NOT make this again, but I'm proud of myself for trying it out!!!

20 comments:

April said...

I probably won't try it again either, but I am glad that I tried it now. Yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

I was very apprehensive about this also, but am glad I tried it. Your presentation of the cake is beautiful

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks great - good for you for trying it!

Anonymous said...

Way to go for not wussing out! ;)

kimberly salem said...

your cake looks great, i like the sprinkle of powdered sugar! i think it looks nice even w/o the tart edges. glad you gave it a shot :)

CB said...

Gorgeous. Love the powder sugar, fig garnish and dollop of whip cream. Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Amy said...

I wasn't sure about this one either, but it is always fun to try something new. Your cake looks great!

Mari said...

I really like the powdered sugar as decoration, it looks lovely!

CRS said...

LOL--love the empty plate at the end! Your cake looks really good!

Julius said...

Your cake looks awesome! :)

Julius
from Occasional Baker

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks beautiful. Yes, I couldn't figure what kind of mood I'd have to be in to ever want this again. Maybe for a tea party?

LyB said...

Your cake looks delicious! I probably will make this again, so many variations to try! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree. This was a onetime cake for me as well. But the whipped cream looks yummy.

Mary Ann said...

That's what I love about this group, always pushing you to try new recipes. Mine tasted alot better the next day! Yours looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks great! And I used to live in Hawaii, too.

Zakia / Avenue Z Desserts said...

it loooks great....im glad you tried it

Sweet and Savory Eats said...

That's what is so great about this group. We get to try recipes that we otherwise may have passed over. Great job on your cake!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Good for you for trying and for tasting figs for the first time. Even though you may not make it again, it is great that you gave it an effort!

Cecilia said...

The powdered sugar was a great topping to the cake!

I'm glad you tried the cake despite your misgivings. I was a bit hesitant as well, but I ended up loving the cake. Maybe it was because I didn't use figs...

Anonymous said...

Did it taste good?