Monday, October 6, 2008

TWD Caramel Macadamia Nut Brownie Cake

This week's TWD was chosen by Tammy of Wee Treat by Tammy. I almost backed out of this week's baking because things have been so hectic around here... But, by 4 year old son was BEGGING for brownies tonight, so I thought, well, I'll just bake these real quick. (Plus, I was out of town last week, and haven't participated in two weeks)

I glanced through the ingredients and was pretty sure I had them all. First thing I realized I didn't have was bittersweet chocolate, so I substituted 1 oz of unsweetened and 3 oz semi sweet.

Brown sugar....uh, none. So I was sure there was an easy way to substitute that, so I googled it quick and found you could use white sugar and molasses. I happened to have molasses on hand because I bought it not too long ago for a recipe, which I never made. I think I do that a lot. Anyways, brown sugar delema was solved.

Then, I was just SURE I had light corn syrup....NOPE! I always have it on stock for scotcheroos! So I replaced that with some dark corn syrup I just happened to find clear back in the pantry.

So, at this point, I am thinking, "This recipe is going to just flop, I know it!" But I carried on because I had a very excited little 4 year old helper in the kitchen with me who was happy to be making brownies with mommy!

Oh, yeah, and finally, I had tossed my cheap springform pan I had because it was one, cheap, and two, started to peel. Yuck, I know. CHEAP! So I used my stoneware baking dish from Pampered Chef! Can't go wrong there! Plus, my son was so determined to have brownies, if I made it look like a brownie "cake", he woudl have a fit. He immediately corrected me when I told me 10 year old that we were making brownie cake. "No...mommy, we are making brownies, not cake!"

The cake turned out perfect! And in a lot less time then it called for! As you can see, my son wanted his brownie as soon as it came out of the oven. He wouldn't want all the extra goo on his 'brownie' anyways.
My attempt with the caramel didn't go so well. I just couldn't get the caramel to darken, and I was so afraid I'd scald the stuff! So after nearly 15-20 minutes on the stove, I gave in and added the cream and butter. It still tasted alright!
I did have peanuts, but they were all UNSALTED....and since the recipe called for salted, I kept digging. I came across a can of macadamia nuts. Hmmmm, macadamia nuts it is! And Yum-o!
Due to a missing 'brownie' from my pan, I ended up with a caramel waterfall...
But, the overall result was amazing! I'm sure that if my caramel would have actually turned out to be caramel, that this would have been even more amazing, but nonetheless, it was very good! I may attempt this again, when I have all the correct ingredients! Now, what to do with all these brownies!!!

21 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Sounds like all of your substitutions worked out pretty well. Macadamia nuts sound delicious in these - great idea!

Shelby said...

Chocolate, caramel, and macadamia always go well together! Glad your little boy got his "brownie!" :)

Amanda said...

I'm new to TWD so I will be making this today. It's great to see that you could improvise with so many ingredients and it still came out great! Wish me luck :O)

Jules Someone said...

Wow, nice work on the fly! Good flavor combo.

Jodie said...

Looks great. I like your subs!

Marthe said...

Too bad yoy couldn't get the caramel to darken!! Your cake still looks great though!

chocolatechic said...

Mac's....wonderful choice!

Anonymous said...

I actually love the color of the light caramel with your brownies! It looks gorgeous!

Unknown said...

WOW! What a great idea with the nuts! I backed out this week. I couldn't do the chocolate again! Great job! BTW: I LOVE the wrappers!!

Flourchild said...

Im glad you liked it and you made it for your son! I used my own fudge pecan topping. I thought the cake part was great..I didn't want to mess with the caramel after hearing all the problems.

Anonymous said...

The macadamia nuts sound yummy. Cool that it worked out.

Peggy said...

Yum. . macadamia nuts! It looks delicious.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad it worked out for you...I love reading about other folks' tweaks. Nice to see the cake can be made in a regular square pan, too!

Mary Ann said...

Great job getting this one done even though you had to make so many substitutions! It looks yummy, especially with the macadamia nuts. My son is a brownie fiend as well, always begging for them.

Tammy said...

I love macadamia nuts!! thanks for making my pick

The Food Librarian said...

Mac Nuts! What a delicious substitution. Glad all your other substitutions turned out - and your daughter got her brownie!

kimberly salem said...

macadamia nuts sound like they would be tasty! great job on all of your kitchen improv :) it looks great!

Rachel said...

Looks good! I also had problems with my caramel, but yours looks yummy!

Shari said...

Great idea to use macadamia nuts!

Annette said...

Good save with all of your substitutions. Macademia nuts are a great idea. It looks yummy!

Liliana said...

Great substitutions! Your cake looks wonderful. Next time I make it (and hopefully it will turn out) I will use pecans instead of peanuts.