Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bananas!!!

What do you do when your kids decided they don't want to eat ANY of the HUGE bundle of bananas you brought home from the store?!?!

You make lots of banana muffins and banana oatmeal cookies!

My kids usually go through a bundle of bananas in a couple days and then beg me to go get more from the commissary when we run out! Not this week....these bananas were WAY past their prime.

I searched through some cookbooks of mine and found a couple recipes. I had never made these banana oatmeal cookies before and I love how they turned out! A healthy little cookie that isn't too sweet. Enough not to make me feel guilty for eating them as a mid morning snack. (Not that I ever feel guilty eating a rich chocolaty cookie in the mornings either....tee hee)
BANANA OATMEAL COOKIES

1 1/2 CUP SIFTED FLOUR
1 CUP SUGAR
3/4 CUP SHORTENING
1 3/4 ROLLED OATS
1 CUP MASHED BANANAS (2-3)
1 EGG BEATEN
1/2 TSP. BAKING POWDER
1/4 TSP NUTMEG
3/4 TSP CINNAMON
1/2 CUP NUTS (I USED ENGLISH WALNUTS)

Sift flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder in a bowl. Cut in shortening. Add egg, bananas, rolled oats and nuts. Beat until well mixed. Drop by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

No comments: