Tuesday, February 10, 2009

TWD: Floating Islands

This week's Tuesday's With Dorie was chosen by Shari from Whisk: A Food Blog.

Floating Islands, aka, Creme Anglaise with a cooked meringue and drizzled caramel.
Never have I ever heard of these. But since I've been MIA, I thought I'd give them a try! I was really nervous about the meringue, but ended up passing that step with flying colors. It was the creme anglaise that I struggled with. Mine had little lumps in them. But it still tasted a lot like a custary ice cream. I also bypassed the caramel making and defaulted to the jar I had in the fridge due to screaming children that needed my attention.

I enjoyed trying something new and am glad that I tried it! It was tasty, but something I will probably not make again. All that egg is just not good for me! My 11 year old daughter even thought it tasted alright!

5 comments:

Ladners'Latest said...

Well it looks delicious!

Jules Someone said...

It looks lovely. And it's nice to have a fancy recipe in your arsenal.

Lesley said...

My sister was convinced that meringue would never work in our humid environment, so I'll have to pass on your success to her. Now she can get crackin' on all those meringue-based desserts in her cookbooks!

Anonymous said...

Your caramel and meringue look lovely. I liked the way it tasted too, but like you will probably not make them again.

Ivette said...

Your island looks great! I really thought this dessert was extremely tasty and had a good challenge with the meringue.